Profound Buddhist culture of Jiuhuashan permeates magnificent and beautiful natural landscape. It is also a museum of Buddhist culture, and an important Component of Jiuhuashan Geopark.
Landforms and ecological landscape of Jiuhuashan with features of "towering, fresh, moist, lush" are important principles for Buddhist site selection. Since the Eastern Jin Dynasty, Buddhism had spread to Jiuhuashan for more than one thousand years. During the Ming and Qing Dynasties, Buddhism established the statement that golden Ksitigarbha should be Ksitigarbha Buddhisattva, making Jiuhuashan become the ashram of Ksitigarbha and a holy site of Chinese Buddhism, also one of the most important spreading centers of Buddhism in China. The Jiuhuashan Buddhist culture has turned into the current culture by absorption of Confucian culture, Taoist culture, overseas culture and secular culture. Therefore, Jiuhuashan Buddhist culture is a unique cultural landscape and is characteristic of a cultural melting pot of various regions of China. The Jiuhuashan is famous in the world for its unique Buddhist culture, it is one of the four sacred Buddhist mountains in China, and is the only Buddhism ashram with the real persons, true incidents and records among the four Buddhist holy lands in China and one of the earliest Buddhist culture resorts in China.
Jiuhuashan has a long Buddhist culture history and accumulated rich historical relics over the years. There are 78 ancient temples in Jiuhuashan at present, among which 9 temples are listed as national key protected temples, 30 temples are inscribed on the list of provincial key protected temples. There are more than 1500 Buddha statues, 100 cliff carvings and over 1300 pieces of cultural relics, including the Palm Leaf Manuscript, Tripitaka and the Blood Manuscript, jade seal, instruments, imperial edicts issued by Emperor Wanli of the Ming Dynasty, writings and paintings of Emperors Kangxi and Qianlong in the Qing Dynasty, all these cultural relics are important material for studying Buddhist culture in China and of important Buddhism historical value.
Route: Jiuhua Town-Baisui Palace-Huacheng Temple-Shengguangling-Small Tiantai
Main investigation content:
1. Investigate Jiuhua cirque, U-shaped valley and other glacier remains.
2. Investigate the influence of Jiuhua cirque and toruliform river valley on architectural layout in Jiuhua Town, and the formation mechanism of Jiuhuashan local culture.
3. Investigate the human landscape within Jiuhuashan Geopark, learn the local history and folk culture.
4. Investigate temples in Jiuhuashan and know about the long history of Jiuhuashan Buddhist culture.
5. Investigate the close relationship between site selection of temples in Jiuhuashan and Jiuhuashan geology and geomorphology, taking Baisui Palace as an example.
6. Investigate vertical distribution of Jiuhuashan vegetation.
Jiuhua Street cirque